Chronicles of The Shoestring Diva

By offering "how to" advice and bargains, the Shoestring Diva is your go-to-person for living life to the fullest... on a budget. Each dilemmas is tackled with funny, practical and informative solutions. Comments and emails are welcome.







Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Destination Dining

Prosciutto, Melon, and Walnuts

I love food! Food is good for the soul, body and spirit. Yeah, Yeah, I indulge just a little too much but for the most part, food is an important part of life. If you look at the most significant aspects of your life, I bet they are surrounded by food. Where would we be without birthday cake, chocolate or family dinners?

In my quest to find an inexpensive way to travel, I discovered destination dining. Destination dining is traveling with food. Instead of hopping on a plane and getting your passport stamped by customs, travel to the grocery store and create your own authentic meals from the countries you want to visit. Last week, Mr. Diva and I visited Italy. Of course I was inspired after watching Eat. Love. Pray. I have fallen in love with a simple dish of melon and prosciutto ham. Who know it would be so good? We included some delicious wine and olives. Yum! I am ready to go back already. In true diva fashion, I have included a few helpful tips to spice up your destination dining experience. Happy Eating!

• Most cities have international markets or sections of town where you can purchase authentic herbs, spices, meats, pastries and cheese.
• Just in case you don’t have an old family recipe, use the internet to find unique recipes and food combination.
• Be creative. Stamp a mock passport with all the locations you have traveled in your destination dining.
• Dress for the occasion. Wear an outfit from the country you’re visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment