Chronicles of The Shoestring Diva

By offering "how to" advice and bargains, the Shoestring Diva is your go-to-person for living life to the fullest... on a budget. Each dilemmas is tackled with funny, practical and informative solutions. Comments and emails are welcome.







Search This Blog

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Up, Up and Away!

Recently I took a flight to Chicago and observed some interesting changes. I haven’t flown for over a year so I was prepared for the horror stories you see on the news such as the long lines at the security checkpoint and the possible cheap thrill feel up the security guard would give me. What I wasn’t prepared for was the excellent service and pleasant experience I received from United Airlines.


My flight was last minute and being last minute I expected to pay with my life savings. Fortunately I was able to purchase a round trip ticket for $197.50. Most other airlines wanted to charge over $450.00 for the same ticket with a departure time of 6am. I’m a morning person but I like watch the sunrise while I am on the ground not while I am coasting in mid air. Secondly, I didn’t have to print a boarding pass. Wow! Look at technology! I was able to have my boarding pass scanned from my phone. As a plus sized woman, I need a little more room in my seat. The Ticket Agent changed my seat to an aisle with no one sitting next to me. My beautifully packed carry on had to be checked since it didn’t fit in the little carry on display. (Promise I packed light) Guess what? No charge! Last but not least, United provided a sitcom for my entertainment pleasure. How cool is that! I didn’t even expect it.

Note to self and all for future trips. Check United first for flights. Make sure to check my bag at the gate to avoid charges (I know cheap trick). And finally say please and thank to flight attendants. They give you wings!

No comments:

Post a Comment