Chronicles of The Shoestring Diva

By offering "how to" advice and bargains, the Shoestring Diva is your go-to-person for living life to the fullest... on a budget. Each dilemmas is tackled with funny, practical and informative solutions. Comments and emails are welcome.







Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Cheap Gas Anonymous

I had another cheap episode last night. While returning home from a lovely dinner with Mr. Diva’s Aunt and Uncle in Orangeburg, SC, we decided we needed to stop and get some gas before we got back home. This would have been an easy task if the gas on the road was not 10 cents higher then back in Columbia. Keep in mind, O-burg to Columbia is only 45 min to 1hour drive, but I really don’t want the gas light to flash at me when I am between exits.


Mr. Diva decides to stop at the gas station and quickly informs me he is putting $25.00 of mid-grade gas in the car. This was his way of putting enough gas in the car to get home and hold off visiting the gas station for a couple of days.

SN: Yes I am spoiled! I hate pumping gas so Mr. Diva does it for me.

At any rate, I almost had a coronary! I quickly figured the amount of money I could save if we just put enough gas in the car to get us home then fill up the tank in Columbia. After a 5 minute price comparison argument and against my better judgment, Mr. Diva gets $20.00 of mid-grade petro. Needless to say I was hot! Didn’t he realize it was the principles of not letting the oil companies rule our life? It’s not the 10 cents that really matters. It’s the satisfaction of saying you got cheap gas! Finally at 10:30pm, we are on the road again with an additional 10 gallons of gas.

In the dark of the night, as the 18-wheelers rocked the car, I began to realize I needed help. I am addicted to cheap gas. My mind could not wrap around paying in total an extra…..$0.96. Yes, just 96 cents for the entire savings. It’s time for me to call the support group Cheap Gas Anonymous.

Here's to Recovery,

The Shoestring Diva

No comments:

Post a Comment