Chronicles of The Shoestring Diva

By offering "how to" advice and bargains, the Shoestring Diva is your go-to-person for living life to the fullest... on a budget. Each dilemmas is tackled with funny, practical and informative solutions. Comments and emails are welcome.







Search This Blog

Thursday, April 1, 2010

I will not compromise!

Recently I was shopping at the grocery store and came across an advertisement that claimed –make the switch to generic and save money. Being a true frugal-nista, I made the switch. After all, the ad claimed it would save me money without skimping on the taste. I made the decision and tried the challenge with my purchase of American cheese slices. Who can mess up cheese slices? It’s a simple food-like item. I left the store, proud of my purchase, all the while dreaming of my delicious grilled cheese sandwich I would make when I got home. At home, I unwrapped the generic cheese slices and immediately noticed the difference in color. Instead of a creamy pale buttery yellow, the generic cheese was bright yellow. No worries, I thought to myself. It’s just a different brand.


I began the process of making the perfect grilled cheese sandwich. For some reason, my cheese wasn’t melting as expected. This was cause for concern. How can I have the perfect grilled cheese sandwich if the cheese didn’t melt over the entire sandwich? Now, I’m worried. The true test is in the taste. Bite one… Bite two… Now swallow. Oh my GOODNESS! This is NOT cheese! I want my money back! It tasted like …I can’t even describe it.

From my dastardly experience, I learned that it is ok to have a “I will not compromise" list. Everyone has to have one. For me, it’s Kraft and Borden cheese all the way. I just can’t compromise. There are just some things you can’t buy generic. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t search for the best bargain or use coupons. Try to find coupons in advance of your shopping trips. That way you won’t be forced to pay full price. Here’s a sample of my list. In your free time, comprise your own.

Shoestring Diva’s “Brand Name (no generics) list”

1. Kraft or Borden Cheese

2. Heinz not Hunt’s Ketchup (Thank Tracy)

3. Miracle whip

4. Spanx

5. Lotion- Suave is the cheapest I will go

6. Perfume

7. Applewood bacon

8. Dove Men's Care Soap

9. Alka Setlzer

10. Ramen Noodles

No comments:

Post a Comment